help-gnustep

Re: Russian characters display and input problem

From: Sergey Golovin
Subject: Re: Russian characters display and input problem
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 12:45:23 +0500

"Ivan V. Usenko" <evil@nr2.crimea.ua> writes:

>   I've got a nasty problem:  I'm unable to type any Russian characters
>   into any gnustep application, neither do russian filenames show up
>   correctly.  Interesting enough, some keys yield more than one
>   gibberish char on display; cursor in the input box also shows weird
>   behaviour. (Please see attached screenshot). I don't think it's a
>   font problem, since all the fonts installed on my system are
>   cyrillic (koi8-r and cp1251). Gnustep is configured to use X
>   backend.
>
> So far I've been unable to google anything useful :( . Someone please
> help me !
>
> [evil@ishtar evil] set | grep KOI
> GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING=NSKOI8RStringEncoding
> LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R
> [cut]

I can suggest you to try art-backend with reading "How to Set Up
GNUstep for the East Asian Languages" about "Fonts" (in gnustep-gui
documentation).

Below my work-for-me configuration for art-backend:

$ defaults read NSGlobalDomain
NSGlobalDomain NSFont Verdana
NSGlobalDomain GSFontAntiAlias NO
NSGlobalDomain 'Local Time Zone' SAMST
NSGlobalDomain NSFontSize 12
NSGlobalDomain NSLanguages '(
    English
)'

$ ls -l ~/GNUstep/Library/Fonts/verdana.nfont/
итого 4
-rw-------  1 svg svg 1066 Окт 20 08:53 FontInfo.plist
lrwxrwxrwx  1 svg svg   52 Окт 20 08:53 verdana.ttf ->
/usr/lib/openoffice/share/fonts/truetype/verdana.ttf

$ cat ~/GNUstep/Library/Fonts/verdana.nfont/FontInfo.plist
{
        Faces = (
            {
                PostScriptName = "Verdana";
                Name = "Regular";
                Files = ("verdana.ttf");
            }
        );
}

$ printenv | grep GNUSTEP
GNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/usr/local/GNUstep/Local
GNUSTEP_HOST=i686-pc-linux-gnu
GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES=/usr/local/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles
GNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/usr/local/GNUstep/Local
GNUSTEP_ROOT=/usr/local/GNUstep
GNUSTEP_FLATTENED=yes
GNUSTEP_HOST_OS=linux-gnu
GNUSTEP_HOST_VENDOR=pc
GNUSTEP_HOST_CPU=ix86
GNUSTEP_USER_ROOT=/home/svg/GNUstep
GNUSTEP_SYSTEM_ROOT=/usr/local/GNUstep/System
GNUSTEP_PATHLIST=/home/svg/GNUstep:/usr/local/GNUstep/Local:/usr/local/GNUstep/System
GNUSTEP_STRING_ENCODING=NSKOI8RStringEncoding

$ locale
LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R
LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.KOI8-R
LC_NUMERIC=ru_RU.KOI8-R