help-gnustep

Re: printf: doens't print on WinXP installation

From: Eric Wasylishen
Subject: Re: printf: doens't print on WinXP installation
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 13:20:32 -0600

Hey,
To elaborate a bit.. I struggled with this problem as well, and it turns out to
be a quirk in windows.

A windows exe has a "subsystem" property - if it uses the console subsystem,
printf output will go to the console as you'd expect.  The problem is, if you
use the console subsystem for a gui app, a console window will open every time
you start the app.

Likewise, there's a "gui" subsystem which won't cause a console window to open,
but printf output goes nowhere, even if you start the gui app from a console
window.

GNUstep-make uses the console subsystem if you build a GNUstep Tool, and the
gui subsystem if you build a GNUstep Application. So, for gui applications,
your best bet is to use NSLog and read the output from the event viewer, -or-
run the application in gdb, and NSLog output will appear in the gdb console.

Hope this helps
--Eric