streampos

From: Marilyn Davis
Subject: streampos
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:16:12 -0800 (PST)

I am (finally) porting my old vote-server program, "The Clerk" to
the new g++ compiler.

streampos used to be an 8-byte integer that supported all integer
arithmetic operations: ++ , for example.

Now it is a 12-byte structure without ++ .  However += works.  But the
byte-count part of the structure is only 4 bytes and overflows after 2
billion-ish.  The other structure members don't change at all and I
can't find documentation describing them.

I'm am very confused by this and can't figure out how to fix up my
old program, which does a lot of arithmetic on streampos and tries to
be ready for big big data files.

Can anyone give me some hints, or point to some documentation, or even
suggest a book to buy?  Searches on the web come up amazingly empty.

Thank you for any help you can give.

Marilyn

Marilyn Davis, Ph.D         marilyn@deliberate.com        -1 650 965-7121
Author of eVote(R)/Clerk                        http://www.deliberate.com