Re: Compiler bug

From: Robert Heller
Subject: Re: Compiler bug
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 02:47:48 +0200

  Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov-nsp@charter.net>,
  In a message on 28 Apr 2004 16:23:22 -0700, wrote :

PP> Paul Schneider <paulibaer@uboot.com> writes:
PP>
PP> > It might really be a compiler bug. The executable produced with Intel
PP> > compiler 8.0 runs just fine.
PP>
PP> That doesn't mean *anything*
PP>
PP> I routinely deal with code that breaks on only one of 10 different
PP> platforms we compile it for, often only with optimization on.
PP>
PP> In the last 10 years, I have seen several 100s of "our" bugs,
PP> and exactly 2 compiler bugs.

Right.  Often what is happening is that the 'real' bug gets 'hidden' by
some compiler behavior, such as whether the compiler includes code to
initialize variables or if the compiler 'cleverly' alters how local
variables are allocated and so on.

PP> Cheers,
PP> --
PP> In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.
PP> Remove /-nsp/ for email.

                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   heller@cs.umass.edu
http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||            heller@deepsoft.com