Changing __FD_SETSIZE to extend select() limit

From: Shigeru Mabuchi
Subject: Changing __FD_SETSIZE to extend select() limit
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:21:58 +0900

Hello.

I'm developing a socket server program on RH Linux 9.
I use the select() function call to manage the socket I/O.
However, the maximum file descripters can be handled in
select() depends on the variable __FD_SETSIZE defined in
the system header file. ( /usr/include/sys/posix_types.h
in my case).

Is it appropiate to simply change the value of this __FD_SETSIZE
(say, to 4096 instead of the default 1024) in the system header
file and recompile my program to accomodate more file descripters
for the select() function call in my server program?
Would it be harmful to other programs, or the linux system?
All packages on my server are installed and managed in RPMs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Shigeru Mabuchi