inlining not done (-Winline -o3)

From: Attila Feher
Subject: inlining not done (-Winline -o3)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 11:45:41 +0200

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how g++ decides when to inline.  I have big
templated code, consisting mostly of small functions.  I expected most of
the to be inline - as they were declared/defined inline, and I do optimize
with -O3.  Out of curiosity I have tried the -Winline argument to check what
does not get inlined.  To my utter surprise, even fairly simple forwarders
are reported not to be inlined.  The online gcc documentation promises
that -Winline will tell the reason why inlining was not done.  But it
doesn't.  The docu also lists the possible reasons for not inlining, none of
which applies to my functions.  So I am lost. :-(

Where can I find a description of inlining in g++?  Or is there a way I can
force g++ to tell me why the inlining was not done?

I am using 3.4.2, MingW.

--
Attila aka WW