Re: large arrays - how to store?

From: Paul Schneider
Subject: Re: large arrays - how to store?
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 21:20:49 +0100

Ulrich Lauther wrote:
Guy Harrison <swamp-DEL-dog@ntlworld.com> wrote:
: Paul Schneider wrote:

: > Hello,
: > : > for my program I need a large multidimensional array the dimensions of
: > which I know at compile time. Specifically it is of size 500 x 5000 x 10
: > x 6. I am looking for guidance of how to treat this array on a linux
: > system with 2 Gigs of memory.
: > are all the 500x5000x10x6 memory lactions actually used? Or is the data
structure sparse? In the latter case, you should consider storing just the
used elements.

It#s a dense array. All f the elements are used extensively. Suggestions?