Re: OT Verifying code across gcc versions [Re: Commercial support on GCC

From: Maurizio Loreti
Subject: Re: OT Verifying code across gcc versions [Re: Commercial support on GCC/G++ open source versions]
Date: 27 Feb 2005 10:50:10 +0100

Paul Pluzhnikov <ppluzhnikov-nsp@charter.net> writes:

> So *all* code you depend on is available in source.

Not all.  Something, e.g. qt, works across our platforms.

> That must mean that you only use Linux, because on every other
> platform you do depend on "other code available only in binary form"
> if only for libc.

In which world do you live, please?  At FNAL we use PC/Linux and
SGI/Irix, at CERN PC/Linux and Sun/Solaris.  The portability is
guaranteed by the conformity of the code, not by having the source
code of the underlying OS.  I may add that using the same code on
several platforms and with different compilers (I mentioned KCC) is
of great help in making it bug-free.

> Also, this could not be have been true throughout your 36 year
> experience, since Linux is only 15 year old.

In the good ol'days of the bubble chambers, I had my code (FOARTAN)
ported on IBM 7090, IBM/370, CDC 7600.  I ever ported "shape" (a
reconstruction and kinematics package), "minuits" (function
minimisation) and "kiowa" (an histogramming package) on the first
minicomputer, an HP 2100.  I had to write an editor myself (in
assembler) for the 2100: line-oriented, called "upda" if you care,
because the native one was largely insufficient.

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Dept. of Physics, Univ. of Padova, Italy              ROT13: ybergv@cq.vasa.vg