Re: g++ and Static Variables

From: Larry I Smith
Subject: Re: g++ and Static Variables
Date: Mon, 02 May 2005 14:49:11 GMT

fewgoodmen@gmail.com wrote:
> I am currently working on changing the compiler from Sun Workshop to
> g++ for a mid sized C program.  In the C files we have static variables
> defined and declared.  This works fine with the Sun Workshop compiler.
> However under g++ the static variables  are initialized to zero but do
> not have the value they are assigned to.  For example say file2.cc I
> have static variable defined and declared as
>       static int j = 5;
> Variable j seems to have a value of zero and not 5.  However any static
> variables defined and declared in the file that contains function main
> seems to have the value that is assigned to them.  I am using g++
> version 3.2.2 in a Solaris 8 environment.
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Joe

Please don't multi-post.

Here's my reply to your post in gnu.gcc.help:

Well, are you talking about 'C' or 'C++'?
You say 'C', but 'g++' is a C++ compiler, and
files with '.cc' extension are usually C++ files.
'gcc' is the 'C' compiler.

Without a complete source code example that demonstrates
the problem, it is hard for anyone to say what you might
be doing wrong.

Regards,
Larry