Re: Shared library error

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Shared library error
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:32:24 -0700

"Terry" <sungard@ameritech.net> writes:

> Ok, I found the problem which doesn't exist on any other platform for shared
> libs.  It seems that I need to use the

Please do not top-post, and read this:
 http://catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html

> -Wl,-whole-archive

This option should not be necessary; the fact that it fixes your
problem likely means that something else is wrong with your build.

You may wish to read this:
and ask your question again. Note that
comp.os.linux.development.system is likely more appropriate group.

> For some reason the linker on Linux
> doesn't pick up all the symbols unless you force it to do so.

The linker on Linux picks up all objects that are necessary for
the link, just as all other UNIX linkers do. To understand how
the linker decides which objects to pull out of archive libraries,
you may want to read this:
 http://webpages.charter.net/ppluzhnikov/linker.html

> If someone
> could shed further light on creation of shared libs under Linux, I would be
> obliged.

Creation of Linux shared libraries is extremely similar to creating
them on Solaris. One frequently used reference is:
 http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/shared-libraries.html

I don't particularly like that document, because (IMHO) it gives
unneccesarily-complicated recipe without explaining the what/why.

I much prefer the Solaris "Linker and Libraries Guide":
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-1386

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.