Problem in linking using g++.

From: Amit Bhatia
Subject: Problem in linking using g++.
Date: 18 Aug 2005 14:01:06 -0700

Hi,
 I am using gcc version 3.3 on os X 10.3.9
 I am trying to create a library written in c++. First I get the object
files *.o
Then I use the following,

ar ruv libmy.a file1.o file2.o file3.o file4.o

Now I try to use it in a test file, using,

g++ -pg  -O -Wno-deprecated  -ansi -pedantic -o test test.C
-DANSI_HEADERS -D_G_HAVE_BOOL -I. -I/ALLTHEINCLUDEDIRS  -lmy -L.

And I get the following error message:

ld: archive: ./librat.a has no table of contents, add one with
ranlib(1) (can't load from it)

I have created library using the same method before on gcc 3.1, on RH
9.0 and never had problems. Is there something changed?
How can I resolve this problem?

thanks,
amit.