Re: Where does g++ keep temporary template source

From: Paul Pluzhnikov
Subject: Re: Where does g++ keep temporary template source
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 09:54:38 -0700

"brian" <bbthing68@yahoo.com> writes:

> Putting print statements insice the set_value() and set_value_type()

Is the wrong way to debug problems. You should learn to use a
debugger; that skill will serve you well.

> member functions show that set_value_type() is never called and
> set_value() is called but the object's value type is some large
> arbitrary number and not 0 or 1

I thought you removed the 2-parameter set_value() definition.

If you did, how could you tell what the (now missing) second
parameter value is?

If you didn't, then either your description of the problem is
misleading, or you didn't recompile the library which defines
MyClass::set_value(const wstring&) and it still defines the
2-parameter version (but then you would not be able to link your
new apps).

> It's as if the auto_ptr<MyClass> somehow left the old interface laying
> around,

Gcc does not "keep temporary template source" anywhere (except
perhaps if you are using precompiled headers, and didn't rebuild
them correctly). I suspect the explanation is much simpler...

> and calls to the new interface are somehow directed to the old
> interface

The old the new interface are not even mangled the same (they are
completely different functions, as far as linker is concerned). What
you describe is impossible.

Cheers,
Remove /-nsp/ for email.