optimizer seems to give up

From: Frank Puck
Subject: optimizer seems to give up
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 01:54:02 GMT

We have a very big function calculating some numerical values depending on
multiple numeric input values.
The problem is the compiler seems to give up on optimizing this function.
We deduce this because of the performance is quite bad and from looking into
the generated assembler code -- there are stack variables used for
loop-indexes.
Is there any way to dell the optimizer not to give up?
We tried already breaking this function into multiple functions -- problem
is that this is not as easy as it sounds
and would make the code quite unreadable -- because of plenty of temporary
variables are used and would have to be passed to the separate function.
I would much more appreciate if the compiler would not just give up.
At least the compiler should print a warning if he decides to give up
optimizing.