Does linking with libstdc++ require distributing libstdc++ source?

From: William
Subject: Does linking with libstdc++ require distributing libstdc++ source?
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 21:21:17 GMT

I'm good with the "linking with libstdc++ doesn't force you to GPL your
code,"
but the question arose, does it require you to distribute the libstdc++
source
in some form? (Does it matter if it is static or dynamic linking? In the
case of
dynamic linking, we DO NOT distribute the library, the user already has it.)

I'm sure this has been done to death somewhere, but I have not been able
to find a citation of an authoritative source on this aspect. By
"authoritative" I
mean a source that would help convince a lawyer that libstdc++ isn't treated
the same way as the usual LGPL library, or, says it actually is treated the
same. It's the ambiguity that is causing me a headache.

I've found a few opinions, but, except for the affect of the runtime
exception
on whether code built using the library must be GPLed or not, I have found
this question about the library source answered.

Any pointers to sites or references (or even an effective google search
string) would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. -Wm