Unable to break on exceptions with G++ 4.0.3 and GDB 6.4

From: Edgar Frank
Subject: Unable to break on exceptions with G++ 4.0.3 and GDB 6.4
Date: 15 Aug 2006 01:19:08 -0700

Since using the G++ 4.0.3, my GDB 6.4 is unable to use the "catch
throw" or "catch catch" commands - telling me "__cxa_throw" /
"__cxa_begin_catch" not found.

With G++ 3.3.6 this works fine, so I think this is an compiler issue,
not an issue of GDB.

When using "nm <exename> | grep throw", it get a symbol named
"__cxa_throw@@CXXABI_1.3". Unfortunately I cannot break on this symbol.
Feeding this symbol into c++filt still gives the same name.

So, what am I doing wrong? I wouldn't expect that this is really broken
with a new G++ release. Is this a compiler configuration issue? Do I
have to upgrade to GDB 6.5 to get it to work?

The environment is a SuSE Linux 9.3, if it helps.

Any help would be appreciated.

Greetings, Edgar