Re: Operationally well-tried

From: Ulrich Elsner
Subject: Re: Operationally well-tried
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 21:01:39 +0200

Ulrich Lauther <ulrich.lauther@siemens.com> writes:

> : Hi,
> : I thus need some well documented examples where g++ has been used for
> : "an adequate time period" in "significant" software projects. It would
> : be nice if some of these examples touch safety relevant areas,i.e., an
> : air traffic control system or machine control software is more helpful
> : than, say, a videogame.
>
> : Now, my first idea, all those widely used open source progams turn out
> : not to work very well as an argument since they have no strong link to
> : a specific compiler versions.
>
> : Any ideas, hints or links?
>
> what about the Linux kernel, should be quite significant

That was one of my first ideas, but the kernel is written in C,
not in C++. But if I don't find a good example, I'll probably
just argue that we are using gcc, just like Linux, QNX, ... and
hope that nobody asks about the differences between gcc, g++, gnat
and so on.

I am still researching the other hints in this thread. Embedded systems
look like a good lead to follow, since they seem to be safety relevant
more often percentage wise. . Since I come from the server / desktop
world, I didn't think about them at first.

Ulrich