Re: Creating a stream from file descriptor

From: Jun
Subject: Re: Creating a stream from file descriptor
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 22:42:31 GMT

corruption, capable by their original nature.

558. What shall we conclude from all our darkness, but our unworthiness?

559. If there never had been any appearance of God, this eternal deprivation
would have been equivocal, and might have as well corresponded with the
absence of all divinity, as with the unworthiness of men to know Him; but
His occasional, though not continual, appearances remove the ambiguity. If
He appeared once, He exists always; and thus we cannot but conclude both
that there is a God and that men are unworthy of Him.

560. We do not understand the glorious state of Adam, nor the nature of his
sin, nor the transmission of it to us. These are matters which took place
under conditions of a nature altogether different from our own and which
transcend our present understanding.

The knowledge of all this is useless to us as a means of escape from it; and
all that we are concerned to know is that we are miserable, corrupt,
separated from God, but ransomed by Jesus Christ, whereof we have wonderful
proofs on earth.

So the two proofs of corruption and redemption are drawn from the ungodly,
who live in indifference to religion, and from the Jews who are
irreconcilable enemies.

561. There are two ways of proving the truths of our religion; one by the
power of reason, the other by the authority of him who speaks.

We do not make use of the latter, but of the former. We do not say, "This
must be believed, for Scripture, which says it, is divine." But we say that
it must be believed for such and such a reason, which are feeble arguments,
as reason may be bent to everything.

562. There is nothing on earth that does not show either the wretchedness of
man, or the mercy of God; either the weakness of man without God, or the
strength of man with God.

563. It will be one of the confu