Linking vs. a *.lib-file on windows (cygwin / MinGW)

From: Lars Uffmann
Subject: Linking vs. a *.lib-file on windows (cygwin / MinGW)
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 11:05:50 +0200

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use an Ansi-C-compatible API provided by a closed-source software, and I am badly failing to link against the library, which I am willing to blame on my inexperience with linker settings.

What I have is:
- the header files for the API
- the *.dll files in my system32 folder
- the *.lib file for the one dll that contains the function I want to use.

My understanding is that I need to
- include the header files in my source (as if it was my own code and I had the cpp-files also)
- use the function as intended in my code and as defined in the header
- link against the libfile
- have the dll available at runtime

So how do I link against the libraryname.lib file - which command line option for the g++ linker is that?

Grateful for any help!

   Lars