Re: force gcc4.x to use libstdc++5

From: Hans Schmidt
Subject: Re: force gcc4.x to use libstdc++5
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 12:24:03 +0100

Robert Heller wrote:
At Sun, 09 Nov 2008 00:09:50 +0100 Hans Schmidt <ka5427-536@online.de> wrote:

Hi there!

I am trying to force a gcc4.x compiler to use the libstdc++5 per default.

This is needed because some "binary-only" Shared Libaries supplied by a 3rd party vendor uses libstdc++5.

libstdc++5 is used by gcc-3.3 compilers - but unfortunately a gcc-4x is needed to compile the project.

I spent some days of work to force a gcc-4x to use libstdc++5 per default. But I did not come closer to a solution.

Do you have any ideas?

It is not possible (as you have discovered). Versions of libstdc++ are
tightly tied to compiler versions. You will *have* to modify your code
to compile under gcc-3.3, probably by not using the features of gcc-4x
your project now uses -- you will have to hack around the missing
features.

Either that or talk to the 3rd party vendor and try to get them to re-build their libraries using gcc-4x & libstdc++6.

Another possiblity is to build a gcc-3.3/libstdc++5 wrapper application
that is run as a separate process from your main gcc-4x project and pass
data back and forth with sockets or pipes.

That was my concern.

Regarding the gcc documentation gcc-3.3 uses abi version 1, and gcc-4.x uses abi version 2.

The gcc option -fabi-version=1 sounds like it should be possible to force the usage of the older abi.

So I have recompiled the whole project with -fabi-version=1. But that seems to have no effect.

What is -fabi-version used for?