help-grub

Re: grub output with qemu

From: Glenn Washburn
Subject: Re: grub output with qemu
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2021 19:30:04 -0500

On Sun, 19 Sep 2021 13:38:42 +0200
Stefan Kadow <pub@ska67.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found some old posts in the net describing how to build a grub
> image and start it with qemu. With just two simple steps:
>
> grub-mkstandalone -O i386-qemu -o grub.rom
> "/boot/grub/grub.cfg=./grub.cfg"
>
> qemu-system-x86-64 -M pc -m 512 -bios grub.rom
>
> Unfortunately, I have no success with it. No matter what additional
> parameters I use or what entries I make in grub.cfg, I get neither
> error messages nor any screen output. I have tried curses, sdl and
> gtk output, the only thing I get is the qemu message "Guest has not
> initialized the display (yet)".
>
> What have I missed?
> Without error messages I can not help myself.
> I am on Arch Linux using an AUR package.

Have you seen this post[1]? What happens if you follow those
instructions (except adding the patch) and see if you can boot the qemu
platform. If that works, which I expect it to, try again with the 2.06
release and see if that works also. I suspect you're not including
needed modules (namely ones for displaying graphics among others).

Glenn

[1]
https://gitlab.tails.boum.org/tails/blueprints/-/wikis/more_efficient_memory_wipe/grub/#using-a-qemu-image