help-grub

grub-mkconfig for removable drive

From: Matthias Braun
Subject: grub-mkconfig for removable drive
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2022 16:06:40 +0100

Hi and thanks a lot for GRUB!

I was wondering if I could simplify the commands used for installing GRUB on a
removable drive.

As shown in the following link, I chroot into a mounted partition to run
grub-install and grub-mkconfig on it:
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/2865/moving-linux-install-to-a-new-computer/724900#724900

Looking for ways to make the procedure shorter, I found the option
"--root-directory" for grub-install:

    grub-install /dev/sdb --root-directory=/mnt/new_partition/

Is there something equivalent for grub-mkconfig? Or is chrooting inevitable in
this case? Can I run grub-mkconfig cross-disk another way?

Thanks a lot!

Matthias Braun