help-grub

Grub and pxe boot

From: Patrick Begou
Subject: Grub and pxe boot
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 17:15:29 +0100

Hi all,

I look for a workaround for a network installation of some laptops, may be using grub.

- the laptop is behind a dock station (U2723QE from DELL) which must do a pass through of my laptop nic mac address.

- The PXE boot provides the right mac address to the dhcp server and downloads the grub.cfg file, theĀ  kernel...etc

- then booting the kernel launch a new dhcp request but this time with the U2723QE mac address. And this fails.

I would like to provide a fixed IP address via the grub file to try to fix the problem. But I'm unable to reach a documentation about the full syntax of the allowed commands like ip=??? (I use ip=dhcp) or other useful commands.

I saw also somebody speaking about a "keeppxe" command which may help but no idea about using it.

Thanks for your help or some documentation I could read.

Patrick