help-grub

Re: Grub and pxe boot

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: Grub and pxe boot
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 20:45:29 +0300

On 17.11.2022 19:15, Patrick Begou wrote:
Hi all,

I look for a workaround for a network installation of some laptops, may
be using grub.

- the laptop is behind a dock station (U2723QE from DELL) which must do
a pass through of my laptop nic mac address.

- The PXE boot provides the right mac address to the dhcp server and
downloads the grub.cfg file, theĀ  kernel...etc

- then booting the kernel launch a new dhcp request but this time with
the U2723QE mac address. And this fails.

I would like to provide a fixed IP address via the grub file to try to
fix the problem. But I'm unable to reach a documentation about the full
syntax of the allowed commands like ip=??? (I use ip=dhcp) or other
useful commands.

Your question seems to be about your initramfs implementation, not about grub. The best place to ask would be on support forum (or mailing list) dedicated to it. Someone here may have some ideas, but at the very least you need to tell what initramfs you are using. Assuming you are booting Linux in the first place.

Or provide more details if I misunderstood you.

I saw also somebody speaking about a "keeppxe" command which may help
but no idea about using it.

This is option of pxelinux which keeps PXE stack after having booted payload. It is useless with Linux as no Linux network driver relies on or using PXE.