help-grub

Re: Grub and pxe boot

From: Randy Goldenberg
Subject: Re: Grub and pxe boot
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2022 12:44:02 -0800

On Thu, Nov 17, 2022 at 8:24 AM Patrick Begou
<Patrick.Begou@univ-grenoble-alpes.fr> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I look for a workaround for a network installation of some laptops, may
> be using grub.
>
> - the laptop is behind a dock station (U2723QE from DELL) which must do
> a pass through of my laptop nic mac address.
>
> - The PXE boot provides the right mac address to the dhcp server and
> downloads the grub.cfg file, the  kernel...etc
>
> - then booting the kernel launch a new dhcp request but this time with
> the U2723QE mac address. And this fails.
>
> I would like to provide a fixed IP address via the grub file to try to
> fix the problem. But I'm unable to reach a documentation about the full
> syntax of the allowed commands like ip=??? (I use ip=dhcp) or other
> useful commands.

As Andrei pointed out, this is about your initramfs.  How to assign a
fixed IP address depends on how the initramfs was created.

If the initramfs was created using dracut, consult the man page for
dracut.cmdline.

https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/dracut.cmdline.7.html