help-grub

Re: 100% CPU before LUKS password

From: Andrei Borzenkov
Subject: Re: 100% CPU before LUKS password
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2022 14:37:20 +0300

On 20.11.2022 13:23, Defiant wrote:
I noticed this behavior too using my custom Xubuntu setup with GRUB
folder located in the /boot folder inside the LUKS-encrypted ext4 rootfs
partition. Grub was setup with GRUB_ENABLE_CRYPTODISK=y. The grub binary
at /boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi seems to be causing my CPU fan to
spin while waiting at the initial password prompt (before the rootfs is
decrypted).

grub busy loops when checking for input characters which may explain this.