help-gsasl

Re: Bug: RFC2831 noncompliance - "charset=utf-8" in challenge REQUIRES "

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Bug: RFC2831 noncompliance - "charset=utf-8" in challenge REQUIRES "charset=utf-8" in response
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:39:28 +0100

Thanks for forwarding this.  I've identified the cause:

int
digest_md5_validate (digest_md5_challenge * c, digest_md5_response * r)
{
  if (c->utf8 != r->utf8)
    return -1;

Thus, if the server and client have different charset=utf8 values, the
authentication is refused.

The code needs to permit where the client did not send charset=utf8,
however in this case it needs to upgrade the string from ISO-8859-1 to
UTF-8 because GNU SASL is a strict UTF-8 library.

I'll see if I can produce a patch shortly.

/Simon