help-gsasl

Re: Bug: RFC2831 noncompliance - "charset=utf-8" in challenge REQUIRES "

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Bug: RFC2831 noncompliance - "charset=utf-8" in challenge REQUIRES "charset=utf-8" in response
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 11:39:23 +0200

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm working to fix this now, but this appears to be one of the
> problematic parts of the DIGEST-MD5 protocol.  The RFC specifies that
> the username and password need to be converted from UTF-8 to ISO-8859-1
> (for the hashing) if that is possible, but some implementations does the
> same for realm values as well.  Since GNU SASL uses UTF-8 for strings,
> the DIGEST-MD5 mechanism will need to convert strings received from the
> network from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 as well, before letting the application
> see them.
>
> I'll see what solution I chose.  If anyone can interop test my patch
> with non-ASCII username and/or passwords, that would be appreciated.

I'll settled with these patches, which has been committed.  The self
tests checks one UTF-8 username/password.  Please try tomorrow snapshot,
if you can confirm that this patch fixes your problem, I can release
0.2.26.

Btw, do you have a longer real name?  I'd like to add you to the THANKS
file. ;)

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gsasl.git;a=commitdiff;h=dd00da765dcd505c58c3a96cf264eeaa589ef56b
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gsasl.git;a=commitdiff;h=9ab331a81fd5e34e20873270527a15390da8bfd0
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gsasl.git;a=commitdiff;h=29e60926aebab37967020067175b710527d3bae8