[Help-gsl] help needed; matrix eigensystems

From: Kaustubh Patil
Subject: [Help-gsl] help needed; matrix eigensystems
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:28:17 -0700 (PDT)

hello all,
 I want to find eigen values & vectors of a real symmetric matrix. I am using
function;

gsl_eigen_symmv (Xcov, eigval, eigvect, w); //where Xcov is symmetric

//then the reordering is done by

gsl_eigen_symmv_sort (eigval, eigvect, GSL_EIGEN_SORT_ABS_DESC);

but what I get is:

0.300377      0.789884     0.534655

-0.773929    -0.125797     0.620652

0.557501     -0.600215     0.573528

whre the output by MATLAB (using SVD) is:

    0.3004       -0.7899       -0.5347
   -0.7739        0.1258       -0.6207
    0.5575        0.6002       -0.5735

it seems that first column gets negated. Am I doing anything wrong?

the Xcov matrix is:

    1.0000    0.0696   -0.5218
    0.0696    1.0000    0.2753
   -0.5218    0.2753    1.0000

Thank you,

Kaustubh Patil

Kaustubh Patil
Project Assistant - II,
CEPD,
National Chemical Laboratory,
Pune - 08, INDIA

kaustubhp_in AT yahoo DOT com
(kaustubhp AT sancharnet DOT in ; for academic)