Re: [Help-gsl] How to install the GNU Scientific Library

From: Federico Zenith
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] How to install the GNU Scientific Library
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 11:49:48 +0100

Alle 17:56, martedì 08 marzo 2005, Emmanuel ha scritto:
> Le mardi 8 Mars 2005 12:04, address@hidden a écrit :
> > Hello, I'm new to the Linux environment. But I have recently been elected
> > to maintain our Linux server. Can someone provide me with instruction on
> > how to installed the GNU Scientific Library on a Linux box.

It would really, really be helpful if you told us which distribution you have
on that machine. Some distribution have non-standard folder organization (I
remember Red Hat some years ago, don't know whether they fixed that), and
need either their own binary packages or special instructions in order to
compile properly.

To compile (should work on any installation), download the source tarball:

$ wget ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gsl/gsl-1.6.tar.gz

untar:

$ tar -xzf gsl-1.6.tar.gz

enter in the folder, configure, compile, install

$ cd gsl-1.6
$ ./configure           (NB! if you have non-standard folder organization, you
should
probably tell it to configure. How exactly... I'm not sure)
$ make
# make install          (NB! as root, not user. Else you can't install
system-wide)

The make process will take some time. It's much faster business if you use an
already-compiled binary package for your distro.

> I hope the maintainance of the server went okay ?? I don't understand why
> gsl should be on a (web?) server?

Maybe it's more of a common machine for people to run UNIX apps from "dumb
terminals".

Cheers,
-Federico