[Help-gsl] ATLAS, SMP, Suse GSL vs. vanilla

From: Joe Georger
Subject: [Help-gsl] ATLAS, SMP, Suse GSL vs. vanilla
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2005 13:00:47 -0400

I have a couple of questions regarding the use of GSL with ATLAS. I am working on a dual Opteron running Suse 9.3 Pro. I installed GSL v1.6.5 from the Suse dvd. I downloaded and installed ATLAS 3.7.11. I wrote a test code to do a QR decompostion with N=1000. I compiled with -O2 and the following libs:
LDLIBS = -lgsl -lgslcblas -lm

and

LDLIBS = -L/usr/local/ATLAS/lib/Linux_HAMMER64SSE2_2 -lgsl -lptcblas -latlas -lm -lpthread

1.) I get virtually no performance difference with either of the above. The executable size goes way up to like 7 MB with the latter. I have also tried the single-threaded version of ATLAS. 2.) Only 1 cpu is doing any work. Is that correct, even though I compiled and linked in the threaded versions of ATLAS?

Here is the second issue: I installed ATLAS on another dual Opteron box running SLES9. SLES9 does not include GSL as part of its distribution so I downloaded and installed GSL 1.7 from the website. Problem is, it's about 10x slower than my machine! I went so far as to copy libgsl.so.0.7.0 and link libgsl.so.0 to it instead of 0.8.0, and I got my missing factor of 10 back. Can anyone comment on that?

Thanks,
Joe