[Help-gsl] Geometry, transformations, etc.

From: Dimitris Papavasiliou
Subject: [Help-gsl] Geometry, transformations, etc.
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 00:49:26 +0200

Hi all,

as I've said in my first post I'm mostly into computer graphics so my main interest in the gsl was not finding eigenvalues or solving differential equations but plain and simple matrix and vector operations. Nevertheless solving differential equations are often useful in cg for simulation for example so it would be even better to have all of these available under a consistent framwork.

The bad news, and the reason I'm bothering you with all this, is that, as I had expected, the blas routines seem to be overkill for simple 3x3 matrix a 3vector operations. Doing them straightforwardly turns out to be much faster.

So the question is: do you think that a "package" specifically aimed at three dimensional geometry (and projective geometry maybe) would fit into the gsl. The main operations I would need would be matrix-matrix and matrix-vector ops., inversion (maybe), special matrices, eg. for rotation, scaling etc. and maybe some convenience functions like vector rotation etc. The package could use the usual gsl vector and matrix structures but would implement some functions specially to save time. This way interoperability with other gsl packages would be guaranteed.

Altogether this is no big deal to implement but it would be quite useful as I have not found any alternative library for C and even if there was one, I'd probably end up using the gsl as well later on for its other features. Therefore I would be willing to implement it if it's considered to fit into the overall gsl framework.

Let me know what you think,
Dimtiris P.