Re: Re[2]: [Help-gsl] solving linear n-order ode

From: Analabha Roy
Subject: Re: Re[2]: [Help-gsl] solving linear n-order ode
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:47:41 -0600

On 2/18/06, daemon <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello Analabha,
>
> Saturday, February 18, 2006, 11:03:47 PM, you wrote:
>
> > See chapter on ODEs in gsl manual. Reduce ur ODE to
> > y_i`(x)=g_i(x,y_k) for all i
>
> If I've understood you right, I need to reduce my ode _MANUALLY_, but

 Well you can just do that once, right? (I mean, write down a general
transformation rule from your form to theat understandable by gsl)

it's not that I really need. I need to make a solver wich will solve
> any linear ode. And only information I'll need to pass to solver is an
> order of equation, array of coefficients and a function g(x). Do you
> have any suggestions to solve this problem?

 Yeah, so you create a subroutine for g(x), & a subroutine that integrates
the ODE. This suboutine will accept the order, the array of coefficients and
then applies your transformation rule and make it gsl-understandable  func()
jac() funcions (you'll have to write those), then initialize the ODE system
& evolve_apply.

 I do something similar when I solve Schroedinger's equation with complex
variables instead of real #s in N-space representation or using FEM .