[Help-gsl] gsl on GNU/Linux, x86_64

From: Michael Zuker
Subject: [Help-gsl] gsl on GNU/Linux, x86_64
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:18:46 -0400

I'm running GNU/Linux on my new desktop.
Sys: amd64_linux26
Release 2.6.9-34.0.1.ELsmp, version #1 SMP Wed May 17 16:59:36 EDT 2006
Processor x86_64

Even though there were (dynamic and static) gsl and gslcblas libraries,
I could not compile my applications.

These existing libraries were stored in /usr/lib, not in /usr/lib64, so
I guessed that
they were 32 bit libraries and that I would have to build a 64 bit
version
from scratch.

I want to let you know that everything configured and all libraries
and text programs were made without any problems. I used a flag with
the configure command to place the libraries in /usr/local/lib64
(defaults is /usr/local/lib). Include files go in /usr/local/include by
default. The linker needed -lgsl and -lgslcblas to find the libraries.

I wrote this to let you know that I'm really pleased that it was so
easy.
I also wonder why my system was setup with useless libraries. It might
be worth mentioning this 64 bit versus 32 bit problem for the benefit of
others.

--
Michael Zuker <address@hidden>
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute