Re: [Help-gsl] Source code for HiCalc / breach of GPL for GSL

From: Dr. David Kirkby
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Source code for HiCalc / breach of GPL for GSL
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:16:40 +0100

Max Belushkin wrote:
Dr. Kirkby:

[snip]

I sincerely think HiCalc can live without GSL -- not to discredit GSL.
In fact HiCalc can run even faster without it.

IMHO, licensing and popularity contests are different things. When there is a license to comply with, a "your name is included somewhere" isn't a reason to neglect the license terms.

I agree with you entirely.

In fact I feel having the GSL name but no source is worst than having no name. It discredits the both the GSL and the GPL. As would failing to press for the license conditions to be met.

We must not get away from the fact that the developers have not refused to release the source. I have asked them and Brian Gough said he would try to sort it out. They might well do the right thing. Let us hope so.

--
Dr. David Kirkby