[Help-gsl] Robustness/reliability of GSL

From: David Klein
Subject: [Help-gsl] Robustness/reliability of GSL
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:10:41 +0300

I have used slatec and Lapack in the past, and I am thiniking of
switching  to GSL for the thread safety. A major concern of mine is
the robustness of the code. Numerical software is notoriously tricky
to get right (e.g.I found a bug in cephes gamma routine where it was
assumed that  x<1 implies that  x+1<2. As far as I know, there is
exactly one double precision number for which this is wrong.) A big
advantage of slatec and lapack is that they have been extensively
tested and used. Does anyone have any feedback to provide on GSL?

P.S. I know that GSL is based in many places on slatec and lapack, but
unless a tested automatic translator is used, bugs can easily creep in
during the translation process.

Thanks, David