[Help-gsl] installing GSL on AIX

From: Nassim Jibai
Subject: [Help-gsl] installing GSL on AIX
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 09:39:51 +0300

Hello,

    This is Nassim, system administrator at the Center for Advanced Mathematical
  Sciences at the American University of Beirut.

  I am currently installing gsl-1.7 on our IBM cluster with an AIX5.1
  operating system as it is needed by the Gadget2.0 library. While compiling
  gsl-1.7 I got the following error.

  gcc: installation problem, cannot exec
'/usr/bin/../lib/gcc-lib/powerpc-ibm-aix5.1.0.0/2.9-aix51-020209/collect2': arg
list too long

 After investigating it I found that the command line size of the shell in
 AIX-5.1 is 24kb. As you know, while gsl Makefile tries to create its
 executable file it fails due to the high number of object files to be linked.

 One of the proposed solution listed on
 http://econ.duke.edu/webfiles/arg/compecon/src/gsl/INSTALL is to
 use a manual approach to incrementally combining the object files
 in smaller groups.

 Question:
   How can I split the object files in smaller groups and compile them
   incrementally?

 Thank you in advance for any help.

--
Nassim Jibai
System Administrator
American University of Beirut
Center for Advanced Mathematical Science
room 424
email: address@hidden
Phone: +961 1 350000 x 4397
       +961 1 374374