Re: [Help-gsl] Question: gsl in C++ ??

From: Jordi Gutierrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Question: gsl in C++ ??
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 16:07:24 -0600

On 13/03/07, Jigal A <address@hidden> wrote:
Actually, the google summer of code is not a bad idea! Perhaps it is
worthwhile pursuing.

Don't hold me to this, but I might collaborate with that too, if my
Master's thesis is finished by the summer as it's supposed to be. I'm
not sure if we both have to be in the same physical location to do it.
I have very specific desires to remove almost all C dialectical
constructs from the GSL when making it C++. These "Accomplish
such-and-such task in C++" books that have #include <stdio.h>... yeah,
that's no good. ;-)

Also - I have found one of those attempts to make direct replacements of GSL
(and CERNLIB) in C++

Interesting. Lots of good ideas there, especially with memory
management and handling of function pointers, both problems I've run
into whilse writing my own C++ wrappers for the GSL. Hm, at a glance,
my only complaint from what I see there is that they're indexing with
operator[]. Not sure, but as I recall, this doesn't permit indexing
such as a[1,2] since operator[] can only take one argument; the
numeric community has a Fortran heritage of indexing with operator()
instead which does allow more than one argument in C++ (here's our
chance to start indexing from 1 à la GNU Octave!) We should also look
into implementing gsl_vector with valarrays instead of direct memory
manipulation, but this might break compatibility with BLAS.

Ah, but I'm getting ahead of myself. I say we (or I) apply first for
the summer of code. This will also be a good motivator for me to
finish my thesis on time. ;-)

- Jordi G. H.