[Help-gsl] Step-size in gsl_siman_solve

From: John Pye
Subject: [Help-gsl] Step-size in gsl_siman_solve
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:48:43 +1000

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can offer me any thoughts on step size in the
gsl_siman_solve simulated annealing solver.

I have a problem involving placement of 2-D shapes into as tight a
packing as possible. As the temperature drops in the siman solver, the
only steps that are likely to be of any use are smaller steps (large
steps will cause my shapes to collide). Is there any way I can use the
GSL siman routine to take_steps but with a reducing step size, or with a
step size that is a function of temperature? Or will this require a
modification to the gsl_siman_solve implementation?

Cheers
JP