[Help-gsl] Re:Question regarding integration

From: Jigal A
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re:Question regarding integration
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 01:18:45 +0300

Sorry for the long delay....

The integration is of an electromagnetic (potential) field (5D) of a point
source.

The numerator is proportional to the (5D) velocity vector of the source
(v_3 = cosh(s), v_0 = sinh(s), v_4 = 1, v_1 = v_2 = 0)

The denominator is 1/R^(3/2) (the 5D green-function of the wave equation)
where
R^2 = x^2 + y^2 + (z - cosh(s))^2 + (tau - s)^2 - (t - sinh(s))^2

I need to integrate all the potential components, namely, the 3 non-zero
components.
The edges where R=0 are regularized separately by hand.
So - basically, the integrals are well defined, and basically, smooth
functions of s.
The denominator is a somewhat involved function, and if it could be shared,
then it would save
a few cycles.

As for Monte Carlo method, I never thought of using non-deterministic
methods such as MC.
I thought that since the integrand is smooth function, I need to pursue more
"exact", or
deterministic methods.

What do you think?
What about integrating this as an ODE? Is that considered numerically good?
(in terms of accuracy, that is).

Best regards,
Jigal.

Is MC slower?