[Help-gsl] Possible multiroot shortcoming

From: Mark Martin
Subject: [Help-gsl] Possible multiroot shortcoming
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:42:15 -0700

I've been attempting to use the multiroot facility and may have discovered an
unpleasant feature.  The documentation states that the solvers will return an
error code if the function or its derivative evaluate to Inf or NaN or if the
iteration is not making progress toward a root.  However, it appears that the
solver can also fail if it calculates some components of the approximation,
i.e. next guess, to be NaN when it did not detect aberrant behavior in the
function or its derivative.  The only warning that such a failure occurred is
when the solver later indicates that it is not making progress toward a
solution.  Unfortunately, I cannot post any reasonably simple code that
demonstrates this problem, which is partially why I'm not submitting a formal
bug report.  But I thought that you might want to know in case this isn't
already a known feature.