Re: [Help-gsl] Nonlinear Solver With Bounds

From: Barrett C. Foat
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] Nonlinear Solver With Bounds
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:30:10 -0500

Hi Eskandar,

You can impose constraints on model parameters by defining auxiliary
functions. For example if you want a parameter b to always be positive,
you add it to the function as c^2 and then after the algorithm converges
on a value (positive or negative) for c, you just square it to get your
final value of b. Likewise, you can impose any arbitrary range using sin
or cos. For example if you want values of b only between 0 and 1, you can
represent it by (0.5 * (cos(c) + 1)). No matter what value c takes during
the minimization, b = (0.5 * (cos(c) + 1)) is always between, 0 and 1
inclusive.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the PORT library.

Barrett Foat