[Help-gsl] What am I doing Wrong?

From: neale hirsh
Subject: [Help-gsl] What am I doing Wrong?
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:13:48 -0400

Dear Helpers

I downloaded GSL for inclusion in an intended book. I am having
difficulty making it work, and I hope somebody has a suggestion.

GSL appears to compile properly on my Mac under OSX 10.4.10. The
"configure", "make", and "make install" commands complete without error.
Three variations of some statistical modules are created: e.g., histogram.c,
histogram.l, and histogram. Under the Unix command "ls -F", the
latter module has an asterisk at the end (it's executable). But most
modules like exponential.c do not have an executable version, and
they do not execute.

I then try to compile modules separately. When I compile exponential.c,
for example, the error message is "Undefined symbols detected; _xxx,
_yyy, _zzz", where x-z are the names of every function in the module.
In desperation, I modify the function names to begin with "_", but
the error message is "Undefined symbols detected; __xxx" and so forth.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you might have.

/
Neale Hirsh
Coral Gables FL
email: address@hidden