[Help-gsl] Double vs Long Double

From: dfeustel
Subject: [Help-gsl] Double vs Long Double
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 00:50:38 +0000 (GMT)

I just got the  GSL book today and immediately
tried the sample program on page 9.

I did not get the exact same answer shown in the book:
      JO(5) = -1.775967713143382920e-01
I got J)(5) = -1.775967713143382642e-01
                                ^^^
I'm running 64-bit AMD OpenBSD 4.1 on AM2 Athlon 64.

gcc (GCC) 3.3.5 (propolice)

FP computation is done using MMX registers except for long double which
is done using the 8087 registers. I am now working on a version of GSL
compiled using long double to force use of the 80-bit FP data format
and see if I get the result listed in the book.

Comments?

Thanks,
Dave Feustel