[Help-gsl] Gradient / particle / polynomials

From: Christian Azambuja
Subject: [Help-gsl] Gradient / particle / polynomials
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 12:38:34 -0800 (PST)

Hi all!

    I have a nth. order polynomial (f), defined over 3 independent variables
(x, y and z):

        f(x,y,z) = A*x^n + B*y^n + C*z^n +...

    I have also a particle in some position of this 3D space, and I want to
make this particle to fly through the space (guided by the gradient of the
polynomial f) until it reaches a certain value w = f(x,y,z) *** I'm aware that
the particle can be caught by a local minima.. but imagine that it wont happen
for a while :) ***. I could code this by hand, but I would like to save time
using GSL.

    I'm new to GSL (I'm not a math guru also), and I saw that it has a function
that deal with gradients (multimin function), but this function try to find the
local minima. I dont want to minimize it, I just want to guide de particle
through the 3D space until it reaches a certain value.

    Is there such a function in GLS, or is there a method of doing this through
soma algebraic manipulation and the use of multimin function??

    [ ]s!
    Christian
    PS: Excuses for the poor english.

      Abra sua conta no Yahoo! Mail, o único sem limite de espaço para
armazenamento!
http://br.mail.yahoo.com/