Re: [Help-gsl] for those who care about siman

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] for those who care about siman
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:46:14 +0100

"Liam Healy" wrote:
>I did find that the C example worked, but I could not get the
>equivalent computation to work from Lisp.

The algorithm is so simple that you can write the thing directly
in Lisp in a couple of days. Start with the page at Wikipedia,
then you can read my code which is a little clearer than the
one in GSL but does the same things.

>If it's possible to influence the design, I'd like to
suggest that
>printing be separate from the main library function.

My opinion is that the GSL siman module itself does not follow
the GSL coding guidelines: it should implement an interface
like the one of the minimisation modules, with an iterate
function that we have the responsibility of invoking again and
again; with such an interface we could be free to inspect
the current solution and decide what to do and what to log.

The Annealing interface should be changed to do exactly that.
I want to do it, it is just a matter of finding 60 minutes
of will
in this stormy sea that life is.

For backwards compatibility reasons it is correct not to change
the GSL code while version 1.x is still going.

--
Marco Maggi

"Now feel the funk blast!"
Rage Against the Machine - "Calm like a bomb"