[Help-gsl] Re: debugging with gdb

From: Rodney Sparapani
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re: debugging with gdb
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 09:08:58 -0500

Thomas Weber wrote:
On 16/05/08 17:30 -0500, Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso wrote:
On 16/05/2008, Jack Denman <address@hidden> wrote:
 You can't "install debug symbols".
You can in Debian. I'm not sure how they do it, but they do package
debug symbols separately for some libraries. You still need to get the
library source from a different package in order to use those debug
symbols.

Packages are built with debugging symbols, then objcopy --only-keep-debug is used to move the debugging information into separate files and later into a separate package.

The process is explained in more detail in objcopy's manpage, under the
help for the above option.

        Thomas

Hi Thomas:

It's hard enough debugging code without putting up with this extra nonsense. Is there any good reason why they do that? I was under the impression that the debugging symbols create very little overhead. I don't use Debian, but I do use Blastwave. Someone please tell me that it doesn't have this "feature".

Thanks,

Rodney