[Help-gsl] Re: debugging with gdb

From: Joe Bloggs
Subject: [Help-gsl] Re: debugging with gdb
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 19:58:23 +0100

"Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 16/05/2008, Jack Denman <address@hidden> wrote:
>>  You can't "install debug symbols".
>
> You can in Debian. I'm not sure how they do it, but they do package
> debug symbols separately for some libraries. You still need to get the
> library source from a different package in order to use those debug
> symbols.
>
> - Jordi G. H.

Thanks for your help. I installed the source files are you suggested:

apt-get source libgsl0-dev

I then moved this to /usr/share/
I tell gdb where to find them with:

dir /usr/share/gsl-1.8/subdir_containing_appropriate_source_files

However, it's annoying to have to tell gdb this every time.
Can anyone tell me how I can find out the location of the sources specified by
the debug symbols? Then I could copy them to that location to save me having to
specify them each time.