[Help-gsl] [OT] double vs long double

From: Marco Maggi
Subject: [Help-gsl] [OT] double vs long double
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 20:56:03 +0200

Ciao,

I am reorganising my code that uses GSL vectors and matrices;
I have to choose a scalar number type and I am wondering if,
given modern processors speed, it makes sense to just use "long
double" rather than "double" (when available).  I have no
special
needs, my code is to be used in general purpose matrix
computations.

I know that many GSL algorithms, like ODE, are implemented only
for "double", but when moving values in/out of matrices from/to
algorithms a conversion can take place.

We do not use 16 bits "int" anymore, so are we not there yet
for "long double"?

--
Marco Maggi

"Now feel the funk blast!"
Rage Against the Machine - "Calm like a bomb"