Re: [Help-gsl] (no subject)

From: Jordi Gutiérrez Hermoso
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] (no subject)
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:42:52 -0600

2009/1/12 Sara Tejedor <address@hidden>:
> which is the best way to calculate the range of a matrix with Gsl?
> I just need the maximum range.

I think you mean rank, not range (both of these words often translate
to the same word in Spanish, although I prefer "contradominio" for the
range of the matrix as a function).

The numerical rank of a matrix is often computed via a singular value
decomposition. Compute the SVD, and then count the number of singular
values that are above machine epsilon. Have a look at

http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/manual/html_node/Singular-Value-Decomposition.html

HTH,
- Jordi G. H.