Re: [Help-gsl] mixed-radix fft

From: Brian Gough
Subject: Re: [Help-gsl] mixed-radix fft
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 16:28:49 +0000

At Thu, 8 Jan 2009 19:06:11 +0000 (GMT),
Sean Parsons wrote:
> However I noticed that the "halfcomplex" output of gsl_fft_real_transform is
> different according to whether the no. of samples (nsample) is a power of two
> or not. With nsample a power of 2, I get a sensible result, but with nsample
> not a power of two I get rubbish.
>
> I have illustrated this with the program below (also attached). I input a sum
> of three sine waves. With nsample = 4096 I get three nice peaks at the
> correct frequencies, but with nsample = 5000, I get just a sequence of small
> values.
>
> Could you help me? I realise that upon the reverse transform, I get my
> original data, whether nsample = 4096 or 5000. But I need to know how the
> forward transformed data is represented so I can apply filters.

Hello,

Your program is missing the imaginary components (real components are
at index 2*i-1 and imaginary at 2*i).  If you look at these you will
find the three peaks.  The manual has a description of the layout in
the section "Mixed-radix FFT routines for real data"

--
Brian Gough
(GSL Maintainer)

Support freedom by joining the FSF!